Job Title Location
Elementary School Counselor 6750 N Dunkirk St, Aurora, CO 80019
High Point Academy
Elementary School Counselor
Reach. Empower. Achieve.
High Point Academy is seeking educators inspired to reach, empower, and achieve greatness.
We REACH each child every single day.
We EMPOWER students and staff to maximize their learning and growth;
To ACHIEVE more than thought possible.
At High Point Academy, we understand that powerful learning only happens with strong relationships between students, staff, and families. Our mission is to provide a strong foundation of academic excellence in partnership with family and community in which each individual is challenged to achieve his/her highest potential academically, socially, and personally.
High Point Academy is a charter school serving students preschool through 8th grade. Located in Aurora, CO, just north of Green Valley Ranch (10 minutes from Denver International Airport), HPA serves an ethnically diverse student population which includes 26% linguistically diverse students and 54% of students that qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch. HPA is an award-winning wellness school whose curriculum and classes promote healthy lifestyle choices.
The Elementary School Counselor is responsible for providing social, emotional, and academic support to student’s through in-class guidance lessons, in small group settings, and individually. The Elementary School Counselor works closely with the Middle School Counselor, teachers, administration, and a school based Marriage and Family Therapist to identify students in need of services, and to develop and coordinate ASCA programs, and to promote a positive culture and climate within High Point Academy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for conducting an organized and professional classroom environment.
- Plan and implement social and emotional curriculum
- Direct support service to individual students, small groups, and classroom guidance lessons
- Demonstrate exceptional instructional delivery
- Model and Foster independent thinking skills, creative problem solving and abstract reasoning
- Show empathy and understanding for all students from all cultures
- Provide social and emotional support for elementary school students
- Provide academic counseling to students
- Develops a cooperative partnership based on mutual respect and objectivity with parents, students and staff
- Promote accountability for students
- Collaboratively work with teachers, students, parents, specialists, and administration on meeting students’ needs with a range of student needs
- Completes assessments, referrals, and counseling with students and families.
- Develops and maintains family outreach programs and community partnerships with the Middle School Counselor.
- Conducts professional development workshops on social/emotional topics for staff and families
- Works closely with the Dean of Students and the Restorative Justice Coordinator to support student in crisis
- Supports students and staff by implementing Restorative Practices
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum BA or BS, certified school counselor
- Excellent communication skills – writing, listening and speaking
- Self-directed and proactive in coming to solutions to support school goals
- Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Exceptional communication skills with all students, families, and teachers
- A track record of developing and presenting professional development initiatives
- Exhibits a high level of multicultural awareness
- 3+ years of experience
- A. with a Colorado Department of Education endorsement in School Counseling.
- Has passed the PRAXIS/PLACE in the area of school guidance and counseling
- Experience with school-wide advisory programs
- Experience with early warning systems
- Experience with college/career awareness efforts, including College in Colorado resources and ICAPs
- Familiarity with ASCA standards
- Member of the Colorado School Counselor Association