Health services are provided to High Point Academy through consultation from the Children’s Hospital Colorado School Health Program.
The school nurse consultant functions as a liaison between the Children’s Hospital, the community, and the school by providing information, referrals, and resources. The nurse consultant assists schools to provide the safest, evidence-based health care services within the school setting.
Services provided by the School Health Assistant include
- Organizes and runs the school health office
- Provides basic First Aid
- Administers routine medications
- Conducts and documents vision and hearing screening
- Maintains health files (including immunization records)
- Monitors and documents Immunization compliance of student body
- Notifies the RN of student health concerns or infectious diseases.
- Maintains PowerSchool documentation (office visits, screenings, immunizations, etc.)
- Certified in CPR and First Aid. Trained and delegated to give routine medications as well as perform special health procedures.
Services NOT provided by the School Health Assistant
- The health assistant cannot give medical opinions concerning students’ health.
- The health office does not function as a clinic. If students need medical attention, parents will be advised to contact their health care provider.
- The health office cannot give any medication to any child unless that child has permission for a particular medication from their healthcare provider and parent.
- The assistant cannot store or distribute medications for staff.
Have you ever wondered whether your child’s illness requires them to miss school? The below document gives some basic guidelines you can follow:
- Illness Policy “How Sick is too Sick?”
- General Health Appraisal Form
- Medication Administration Permission Form This form is required for any medication administered in the school setting – including over-the-counter (OTC) medications
- Asthma Action Plan This form works as a medication permission and Health care plan for students with asthma
- Parent Questionnaire for a Student with Asthma or Breathing Problems Please complete and turn into health office with your completed Asthma Action Plan
- Asthma Self Carry Contract This form is required in addition to the completed Asthma Action plan to allow students to self carry emergency medication. It is signed by the Nurse Consultant, Parent and Student
- Allergy/Anaphylaxis Action Plan and Medication orders This form works as a medication permission and health care plan for students with severe allergies
- Allergy Anaphylaxis Self Carry Contract This form is required in addition to the completed Allergy/Anaphylaxis Action plan to allow students to self-carry emergency medication. It is signed by the Nurse Consultant, Parent and Student.